How to start photography business from home? Almost everybody is an amateur photographer.
For taking snapshots of your family or friends on a picnic or at a party, you only need a camera and learn how it works and you are an amateur photographer.
However, to start a photography business is something serious. Here you are paid by others, who demand good photography because these pictures become memories in future. Therefore, the snapshots taken as a paid photographer is expected to be worth becoming a collection by the owners. Before starting your photography business from home you need to do the following:
- Make a list of the equipment you essentially need to start with your photographer business. The main items needed would be a good quality camera, various lenses, filters, electronic flash units, studio lights, tripods, seamless paper for making a background. As you going to start your photographer business from home so you don’t need a separate office for this purpose. You must be aware that your lenses are the most important items which are to be selected very carefully. It may be noted that you do not need to purchase such items which a very expensive but are used very occasionally. You would also need some office equipment like Computer, Printer, telephone, fax and furniture for office and studio.
- Be an expert in handling and using your equipment, especially the camera. In order to have good picture you should have a good technical photography skill. Although there is no need for a study or research on photography but you must practice a lot on handling the camera, use of filters, assessment of the correct light position and so on. However, there is no restriction on reading some books about home photography business and then applying the knowledge while practicing.
- There are a number of types of photography. But broadly speaking, there are only two. The first one is called Assignment Photography. This type of photography includes Wedding Photography, Functions or Party Photography, School Photography and so on. In this photography, risk is the minimum. Photographers are hired for a particular purpose and are paid to their satisfaction, as already agreed before the event, when the event is over and the album is handed over to the client.
- The other type of photographer business type is called Stock Photography. Here you select the object at your own and take many photographs thereof. Then you choose the best of them and sell them at a price of your choice. Other surplus photographs of this home based business are sold out for magazines, brochures and newspapers etc. Sometimes schools also save money and instead of hiring a photographer, purchase ready made photos at cheap price.
- Now, when you have decided the equipment to start photographer business from home and the type of photography you are going to do, you can plan your business. Business plan includes the requirements of funds, resources from where these funds will be available, your schedule of working, your fees and rates per hour or per snapshot etc. It may be noted that some photographers specialize themselves in one type of photography while others do their business as a combination of both.
- To start a photography business from home, select a room in your house which may be converted into a studio cum office and which has an easy approach to the customers.
- Give a name to your photography business entity.
- Open a Bank Account in the name of your business entity.
- Be careful about the zoning restrictions. Your neighbor may not be accepting frequent visits to your house by your customers. Therefore first talk to your neighbors and tell them that you are going to start a photographer business at your home.
The business is set now and you can start by advertising your services through hand fliers or newspaper or business cards.