Before we discuss the methods to start indoor termite & pest control services, we shall first find out what is a pest.
A pest can be defined as any living thing which can create a nuisance and harm to human beings. It could be a plant or an animal. We shall be discussing animal pests in this article. Animal pests could be vertebrates (with a vertebral column) like rats, wild boars etc. or invertebrates (without a vertebral column) which mostly include insects.
These pests harm us in the following ways:
- Make the houses and offices etc. look dirty and unhygienic.
- Destroy our food, grain, vegetables and other eatables in houses, stores, gardens and agricultural fields.
- Destroy our clothes and structures in the buildings.
- Spread diseases by acting as carriers of various viruses and germs.
- Pests may also be a cause of epidemics like plague and cholera.
Pests are present in houses, offices, shopping malls, gardens, trees and agricultural fields. Therefore, Termite & Pest Control Services can be divided into two categories:
- Domestic / Indoor Pest Control Services
- Agricultural / Outdoor Pest Control Services
Why to start a Indoor Termite & Pest Control Business:
Pests are increasing day by day and so is the increasing hazard to our health, and valuables. Indoor Pest control services have become an essential part of our life due increase in number of pests. Houses, offices, shops, plazas, stores, gardens and agricultural fields are infested with pests.
Pest Control Services are, therefore, required everywhere. A number of varieties of pesticides are available in the market. Even though there are many pest control companies working in the field, there is always a space for the new entrants. A little training, a small investment and some personal efforts can lead you to make a profitable business.
Since the Agricultural Outdoor Pest Control Services require a large amount of investment, require a large quantity of pesticides to be stored in godowns and enough trained labor force, we shall be concentrating ourselves to the business related to Domestic Pest Control Services which can be easily started from home. Pesticides used for Domestic Pest Control purposes are relatively safe, need lesser investment and require short training for the users.
Domestic invertebrate pests include Termites, Cockroaches, Flies, Ants, Wasps, Lice, Fleas, Mosquitoes, Woodworms, Bookworms, Carpet Beetles, Clothes Moths, Ticks, Mites and Bed Bugs etc. Domestic vertebrate pests include Mice, Rats, Moles, Gophers, Lizards etc. and some birds.
A good quality pesticide must have the following characteristics:
- It should be safe for the persons manufacturing it and consuming it.
- It should effective against specified pests and should not harm others.
- It should have a very short life and must disintegrate into non-harmful compounds after doing its job without leaving any effect on the environment.
How to start a Indoor Termite & Pest Control Services:
This is a very diversified field and each pest may need a different pesticide with a unique method of treatment. Therefore, the knowledge of pesticides and their use for specific pest control is a must. Each pesticide requires a unique method of application.
Chalk Out a Pest Control Business Plan:
Before starting your business you need to chalk out a business plan. The plan would include the following points:
- Space Requirement: You would need at least two rooms, one to be used as an office and the other for storing the pesticides and equipment for application & treatment.
- Type of Pests to be treated: You have to decide that whether you want to provide general pest control services or you want to be specific to a few pests. If you decide to start a general pest control services, you should know at types of pests available in that vicinity and the pesticides required to control them with methods of application. If you decide to go for some specific pests, for example cockroaches or rodents, you should have enough knowledge of the behavior of those particular pests and how to control them by pest control spray etc.
- Tool & Equipment: Tools and equipment include a number of things like spray machines, drums and buckets for making the required solutions of the pesticides, hand gloves, coveralls, masks, drill machines, pumps for fumigation, mixers for dry pesticides etc.
- Stock of Pesticides: You need to keep a reasonable stock of pesticides depending upon the pests you are going to deal with.
- Staff and Training: You should assess the staff requirement and how the staff will be trained. Initially you would only need one person to help you as you would be working on your own. You should also attend some training programs.
- Legal Requirements: Pesticides are hazardous material are need to be kept and handled very carefully. You may need a license or permit to start your business. You should check the concerned departments of your area to have full knowledge in this regard.
- Funds Requirements: Having planned the above six items, you need to assess your funds requirements. Then you need to find the financial resources to make the funds available. Funds may be provided by yourself, your family members, friends, banks or some government agencies giving loan to support small businesses.
- Marketing Strategy: You should now thrash out the market for finding out your competitors, their rates for doing different jobs and procedures used to control different pests. Sometimes two or more pesticides are mixed together in a particular ratio to achieve best results. You should initially fix your rate a little lower than your competitors to attract clients. A repeated activity for the same job after one month or so may be offered free of cost.
You need to do the following for promoting your business:
- Become a member of the Pest Control Services Association in your area.
- Get your name included in the yellow pages under the group of Pest Control Services Providers.
- Advertise in newspapers, magazines and other publications.
- Make your own website to get orders on line
- Distribute handouts and flyers through newspaper agents, real estate services, shopkeepers in your area.
- Giveaway Business Cards to everyone you meet.
- Ask your friends and relatives to refer you to their friends and relatives.
A brief on Pesticides:
The pesticides used should be environmental friendly. Insect pests are eliminated through spray of the pesticides or through fumigation. Rodents (Rats and Mice) and birds are controlled by putting baits with poison. It is essential that the baits should be replenished regularly and the left over bait is collected and disposed off at the end of the job. Children and pets should be kept away from the treatment area.
It may be noted that continuous use of the same pesticide in any area makes the pests resistant to that particular poison. Therefore, you must change the pesticide after it has been used for 2 – 3 times to avoid development of resistance to a particular pesticide.
Stores may be fumigated after being sealed for making them airtight to control insects and even rodents.
Pests may also be controlled by mechanical means. For this purpose traps can be used for controlling vertebrate pests.
The above is an overview of the Indoor Termite & Pest Control Services Business and a lot of improvements may be made gradually after gaining experience.